Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Who is Your Spirit Person?

Wow, this book was reaffirming everything I have learned as a Chaminade Scholar in the past three years, and personally I was only responsible for one chapter! Probably my favorite part was about the way vocations are interconnected and woven through one another as we evolve from living out one vocation to the next. The quote on my slide that reads "We are all in this world for something greater than self. We each have a mission, an assignment, a calling, a vocation that is ours and ours alone" really encompasses the base that this book develops right off the bat. Not only that, it's just a great thing to remember in life - we each have a unique purpose and God threw out the mold when he made each one of us!

The coolest part we learned about was the Spirit Persons who are in our life to draw us closer to God and hear His voice more clearly. I thought of a friend of mine who I have had since freshman year who has torn down any walls I ever put up and really broke my heart wide open to let God in further. He is a definite Spirit Person to me and it was so great to make that personal connection!

The Cry of the Poor section really reminded me of the social justice action we are called to take as Catholics, the aspect of our faith that I personally forget about or push to the back burner. I love the quote from page 27 that reads
The condition of truth is to allow the suffering to speak. It doesn't mean that those who suffer have a monopoly on truth, but it means that the condition of truth to emerge must be in tune with those who are undergoing social misery. 
The chapter all about authenticity really stood out to me as well. So often, the world tries to make us people we aren't or society gets in our heads and tries to tell us how to act a certain way. that is generally contradictory to our vocation! I love that being your full, unique self is the simplest way to live out vocation. AND it was interesting to learn about the "false self" aspect of everyone so we can recognize it and ignore or avoid when that part of us creeps in.

Basically the beauty of this book was how much it emphasized what we've been learning all semester - living your life as the masterpiece God intended it to be :)

No comments:

Post a Comment