Thursday, April 19, 2012

I Am...

Loved, blessed, strong, beautiful, God's child, a member of the world...the list could go on and on. And that's exactly what Tom Shadyac's documentary and interview are about.

First, watching the documentary "I Am" was inspiring and left me with my jaw dropped and wanting to get up off the couch and do something!! When someone finally recognizes that there is a spiritual disease in our world and then goes to question what to do about it, that's a big deal, and that is just what Tom's movie did. Wow. Tom does a good job of pointing out indisputable facts, then pushing his audience to question what we can do to change the atmosphere of our earth and make it less individualized and more of a giant community. One of my favorite points that he made was that in order to do something for someone else, it has to be a physical thing in today's culture. I have experienced people serving me with their words and touching my heart and deep into my soul! Although according to society today, our job is to be a consumer rather than just a citizen, human beings are still hardwired for a compassionate response to others and our heart outweighs our brain a hundred times over.

Then, let's talk about our AMAZING interview with Tom via Skype! Seriously, the whole time I was just relishing in that time together because after we hung up, I wanted to talk to him more, I wanted to grab a coffee with him and hang out! (Nevermind the cross-country distance issue...) He was knowledgeable in a way that I totally didn't expect but the way he spoke to us was as friends and in no way condescending or superior. Tom reminded me that we are all perfectly imperfect humans in this crazy thing called life and really, we need to rely on each other. His love for God and faith in His plan was so evident in the way he spoke and I could really tell he genuinely cared about bettering himself into the best version of Tom Shadyac he could be and listen to God's call for him to serve others. Personally, I loved his words on education and how the standardization with grades and categories for students is counterintuitive and opposite of what God wants for us in our learning experiences...a few professors could use that advice!

In all seriousness, this interview has been one of my favorite elements of the course thus far. While I wouldn't necessarily say Tom is quite in our generation, he definitely is a role model for what it looks like to live out your vocation by living simply the way God calls us to.

No comments:

Post a Comment