Todays lesson from Dr. Silva Bunta on Icons was a different lecture than what we've had thus far, and definitely stretched my mind! Dr. Bunta's lecture was so deep and intricate and it was so apparent to me how passionate he is for the subject matter and just how knowledgeable he is in the field! From that respect, this lecture was very interesting, but at the same time, it really was beyond me and some of the ideas were ones I just couldn't grasp! For example, everything could potentially be an icon - how is that possible!? When do we know if something is reaching their full potential? What if we think someone or something is reaching their potential as God intended them to but in reality, they're not there yet and we're selling this person short? These were unanswered questions I was left to ponder with a spinning brain.
I did, however, really like how much Dr. Bunta emphasized that icons are vital in Christianity as a reminder of the link between divinity and humanity, the understanding of the world, and understanding of humanity. How cool to think that God is present in everything, making all things and people icons in some way - that is still above my head a little bit, but it's a neat thought to have!
Personally, I have never encountered an icon of any sort that has inspired me to pray to it as a connection to God, but I can appreciate those who do use icons in their daily prayers and respect their personal type of prayer!
No comments:
Post a Comment